Dear Anash and N’shei:
As a mom of teenage boys I feel compelled to ask: Please do not serve/offer alcohol to underage students. This includes children, high-school age children and even post high school age students, under the age of 21.
It is not “Chassidish” to endanger the lives of minors. It is illegal, immoral and dangerous. This is aside from the major chilul Hashem that it causes.
Things to keep in mind:
1) This applies to every Shabbos as well. I have the “pleasure” of witnessing boys “crash” at my home after being served alcohol at some of your homes each Shabbos.
2) Many of these boys’ first experience drinking and being encouraged to drink is at your home!
3) Please think upon these boys as if they were your own sons, would you want your own little boys served alcohol when they get a little bigger? It definitely changes your perspective when your own boys are teenagers, parents of young children sometimes do not realize how young and immature these teens really are.
4) They are just as happy if you serve them soda and snacks 🙂
5) My boys have watched a classmate turn blue on Purim. You have no idea how much they have drunk before or after they go to your house.
Facts that many in the frum community may not be aware of:
1) It is issur to give people under 21 alcohol –Kitzur Shulchan Aruch- Perek 32, halacha 18.
2) It is illegal for an adult to offer minors alcohol or host a party where it is present and accessible to them, even in your own home –Teen Party Ordinances.
3) It is proven that younger one starts drinking, the more irreversible brain damage occurs, each time they drink.
4) It is proven that the younger one starts drinking the higher the chance they develop serious alcohol addictions. No one can predict who will become an alcoholic- it is not just people from “messed up” homes. Some people have a biochemical tendency towards addiction, and once they are introduced to drinking they continually crave and need more.*
Debora Nussbaum Cohen reported in a 1999 article in the Jewish News of Greater Phoenix: “A high percentage of Jews possess a genetic mutation that regulates an enzyme responsible for determining how the body breaks down alcohol. This mutation makes people more sensitive to alcohol – in other words, they get drunk very quickly.”
In other words, if you offer kids alcohol, you are facilitating making their lives much more difficult and maybe destroying them. CH”V.
Frum and Anash bochurim have died from overdosing, from alcohol poisoning, and from accidents incurred while intoxicated, CH”V.
None of us would want that kind of terrible achrayus on us. Please think about it and just say no thank you.
A freilechen Purim, filled with true simcha,
A mother of bochurim