A public letter from Bonei Olam Chabad to the Crown Heights community:
Dear Crown Heights,
When we set out to host Bonei Olam Chabad’s first event, we had no idea on how the community would receive us. After all, the subject of infertility in our community has always been discussed in private, behind closed doors. But we knew that many couples in our community, (statistics point to a staggering 1 in 6!) are affected by infertility.
Our goal was, and is, to be there for these couples. To support them financially, and guide them medically, as they pursue treatments that cost a fortune but could hopefully help them achieve the dream of having children of their own.
So, we planned an event. Incredible vendors in our community stepped up with generous contributions of talent and valuable products. And we asked you to show up for your friends, for your neighbors, and for your sisters. And you SHOWED UP.
On Monday evening at the Jewish Children’s Museum, you filled the room. After it was packed to standing room only, an overflow of ladies stood in the hallways, in the lobby, out the front doors and into the street. The crowd was overwhelming. We rushed mid-event to set up an extended screen outside to allow all of you patiently standing in the halls to see and hear the speakers. And you stayed. Because you DO care. You showed us the power of coming together as a community.
And your presence meant the world to those of us who know this struggle all too intimately.
We were honored to share with you the words of Rabbi Shlomo Bochner, the founder and director of Bonei Olam, who shared his story and brought many of you to tears. And many of you, who have benefitted from Bonei Olam’s support over the years, had the opportunity to privately thank Rabbi and Mrs. Bochner for the first time and share with them the good news of the beautiful families that you have built. There was no greater testament to the importance of this organization than hearing from you, our dear Bonei Olam couples, who now have the Brocha of children.
Thank you to all those who participated in our raffle. With your generosity, we raised enough funds for multiple fertility treatments for Chabad couples in our community.
Words alone cannot fully express our heartfelt Hakaras Hatov to our community, but please know that the couples in our community who are affected by infertility saw YOU show up – in person, financially, and on social media. One woman told us that after suffering for years in what felt like tremendous loneliness, she looked around the tightly packed room and felt completely surrounded by the warmest hug. She was not alone.
Sincerely, Bonei Olam Chabad Team
If you would like to further contribute to this important cause, please donate at boneiolam.org/chabad
We would also like to thank many who contributed to the success of the evening:
· Rabbi Bochner – for speaking so eloquently and sharing this organization with our community
· Devorah Leah Ashkenazi – for telling your story and teaching us how we can be sensitive to our sisters in need
· Sara Varon – for your generosity in planning and executing this beautiful event
· Breindy Katz; Mussie Galperin; Sarale Hyams – thank you for everything!
· JEM – for providing the Rebbe video for the event
· Brocha Jaffe and her backup choir – for uplifting us all with your beautiful voices
· Rikal Fogelman – the original founder of Bonei Olam Chabad, who paved the way for this organization in our community
· Chanie Hershkop – our incredible emcee for the evening
· Our generous donors – Chani Greenbaum Events; The Print House; Sara Event Productions; Bon Knit, Tzfasman Jewelers; Zlata Wigs; Sushi Spot; Jupe; YB Travel; Brooklyn Hair Loft; Shark; COLlive.com; Dina Duchan Photography; and Rebecca Howard Photography.
· Dessert Vendors: Mr Green; 321 Dessert; Rifki’s Petite Treats; The Boozery; Frumie’s Bake Shop; Keekups by Liba; Rozes_r_green; Spice and bangle; Batya Naparstek
#1 2 tickets to Israel: Malky Eckhaus
#2 $1800 to Zlata Wigs: Golda Junik
#3 $1000 Tzfasman Jewelers: Rikel Reices
#4 Wash & Set for a year; Dina Duchan Photoshoot; $500 Jupe: Chaya Mushka Baruch
Photos by Rebecca Howard and Sholem Srugo