By Sandy Eller – VIN News
The heartbreaking three alarm fire that took the life of a Brooklyn man and his wife as they slept in their home early Monday morning was a tragic and avoidable accident, according to the FDNY, which released results of its investigation this afternoon.
FDNY officials said that the massive blaze that took the lives of 61 year old Chaim Gluck and his wife Faigy was started by a disposable charcoal barbeque grill that was left unattended on the wooden deck of the family’s Borough Park home.
FDNY officials reported that there were no smoke detectors in the house to warn the family of the flames that ultimately made their way through the house and into the attic.
As previously reported on VIN News, the fire was reported at 3:47 AM and appeared to have been burning for a while by the time firefighters arrived at the scene.
The Gluck’s only unmarried child, a 19 year old daughter, had sought safety on a fire escape after failing in her attempts extricate her parents from the house. She was rescued by firefighters and taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, with five firefighters also requiring medical attention, according to an FDNY spokesperson.
Assemblyman Dov Hikind called the tragic fire a wakeup call for the public, noting that it is easy to become complacent and not take note of the dangers all around us.
He called on the public to take stock of their own homes, looking for possible dangers including unattended fires, placing burning objects such as grills and candles on flammable surfaces and making sure that electrical appliances are in safe places to avoid potential and avoidable injuries.
“We all think that it is not going to happen to you, but even those one in a million things happen sometimes,” Hikind told VIN News. “Smoke detectors save lives. It’s that simple.”