In partnership with COLlive.com, the Jewish Children’s Museum Welcomes you to the Jewish Children’s Museum’s Parsha Studio!
This is a weekly project that is designed to inspire kids in a fun way by exploring the weekly parsha through various activities such as crafting, painting, science experiments, and culinary art. Each week, we will present a step-by-step video that provides detailed instructions and visuals to help kids learn and explore the Parsha in a unique way. So, what are you waiting for? Grab your supplies and join the adventure!
Parshas Vayeira – Salt-Painted Welcome Sign
Are you ready to embark on an exciting project? Let’s start with Parshas Vayeira, where we learn about Lot and his wife hosting the Malachim who came to warn them that Sedom would be destroyed. The Midrash says that Lot’s wife went around to her neighbors asking for salt for her guests. We can learn from Lot and his wife to have Hachnasas Orchim, to host guests, and to treat them with the utmost kindness.
And now, let’s dive into the project! We will create a stunning WELCOME Sign using a special technique called salt painting. With this technique, we can paint an area neatly, allowing the color to go solely in the glue’s borders. Get ready to be amazed by your artistic skills and create a beautiful sign to welcome your guests and be Machneis Orchim!
- Printed Welcome Sign (use the attached pdf template)
- Liquid glue
- Watercolor paint
- Pippete (Water dropper)
- Small paint brushes
- Ribbon or string
- Apply glue to the letters, sun, trees, ground, and house. (Skip door and window.)
- Pour salt over the glue.
- Shake off the extra salt.
- Wait for the glue to dry.
- Add water to each of the watercolor paints using the water dropper
- Paint the salt with the watercolor paint
- Paint the frame, door, and window with just watercolor (no salt)
- Cut out the picture and make one hole on each side.
- Cut the desired length of ribbon or string, then wind one end through one of the holes and tie it; then do so to the second side.
Be prepared for next week’s activity. You will need:
Air dry clay
Silver or gold Paint
We would love to see how your Project turned out! Tag the @jewishchildrensmuseum on social media, or WhatsApp 718-907-8861