By COLlive reporter
Enough is enough.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) are retaliating to the slew of rockets that were recently shot at residents in Israel’s southern region.
Summer camps, and kindergartens and schools that are open, have been under constant threat as 70 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel.
The Hamas terror group, with whom the Palestinian Authority created a “unity government,” has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Hamas sources reported to CNN of at least 30 Israeli airstrikes across Gaza on Monday night into Tuesday.
“Operation Protective Edge is underway. Targeting #Hamas capabilities that are terrorizing #Israel,” Israel Defense Forces spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner tweeted.
The position of the IDF has changed, the spokesman said at an earlier news briefing, CNN reports. Last week they were focused on de-escalation, but now Israel is preparing for a possible deterioration of the situation, he said.
Lerner said the IDF has already called up several hundred reservists and is prepared to add 1,500 more. During the last offensive on Gaza in November 2012, 30,000 reservists were called up.
Mushir Al-Masri, a Hamas leadership figure and member of the Palestinian parliament, wrote on his Facebook page: “The enemy has crossed the red lines and will be made to pay the price for its crimes. The blood of our martyrs is precious … and is fuel for the intifada and the resistance.”
After that statement, 70 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel, with Hamas claiming responsibility.