Life was very normal for Yossef and Goula Mardoukh until that fateful Friday morning at 5:00am when they woke up to the sound of shattering glass. Together with the heavy smell of burning and the cloud of fog blurring their vision, it soon became apparent that their entire apartment had already been burned. They had a few short moments to save their lives and the lives of their two sleeping children, ages three and two.
Baruch Hashem their family all escaped the flames unscathed and they found themselves on the street in their pajamas, completely covered in black. After spending Shabbos in the hospital to be treated for the toxic fumes that they had inhaled they were, thank G-d, pronounced healthy and released to go home, without a home to go to…
Thank G-d everyone was safe but the fire department were unable to answer their call immediately and all of their belongings were completely consumed by the fire.
As they are recovering from the trauma, the Mardoukh family have a new reality to face. Besides for having lost everything that they ever owned, they owe an insurmountable amount of money in damages. Their insurance was not yet in effect and even though an expert insurance lawyer has investigated this case, he has unfortunately not been able to claim any money on their behalf. “it is an exceptionally unusual case, said the lawyer “but the Mardoukhs are not entitled to a dime!”
The Mardoukhs are left completely liable for the property damage, totaling $75,000 owed to their landlord and neighbours plus a loss of $50,000 in personal belongings.
As a friend of Yossef, I want to make sure that by Rosh Hashanah he knows that he’s entering the new year debt free. With your kindness and generosity, I’m sure we can do this for our fellow brother.
Let’s make it happen!
The campaign is endorsed by Rabbi Mendel Landa, Director of Beth Chabad Israeli Community Centre in Toronto and the Chabad Rabbi of Rechovot, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Gluckowsky.