40-year-old James Vincent has been indicted on charges of strangulation and assault as hate crimes for an unprovoked attack on a Jewish man last month in Crown Heights.
Vincent was arraigned Wednesday on a 17-count indictment in connection with the Shabbos afternoon attack on 52-year-old Menachem Moscowitz on April 21.
Moscowitz was walking home from Synagogue at around 1 p.m. when prosecutors say he passed Vincent near Rutland Road and East 46th Street, who alleged yelled, “You f—ing Jew, you Jews took my house and mortgage.”
Moscowitz kept walking. Vincent then allegedly rushed the older man from behind and squeezed Moscowitz’s neck, then punched him in the head and body and squeezed his arms around the man’s head. Two bystanders intervened as Vincent allegedly continued to yell anti-Semitic epithets. Then he ran off.
Prosecutors say surveillance video helped identify the suspect, who they also learned used a credit card bearing his name to buy ice cream at a store near the scene of the attack. He was arrested on April 27, 2018.
“This alleged attack against a religious person is disturbing and completely unacceptable,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement. “Brooklyn’s strength is in its diversity and I will never tolerate such hate-motivated crimes in our communities. The defendant in this case has now been indicted and I intend to hold him accountable.”
The 40-year-old was arraigned on charges of strangulation as a hate crime and assault as a hate crime in Brooklyn Criminal Court Wednesday, prosecutors said.
Vincent was held on $50,000 bail and ordered to return to court on Aug. 15, said prosecutors. He could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted.