By COLlive reporter
The New York Police Department’s 71st Precinct has released a Crime Prevention Alert list to educate residents of Crown Heights on home burglaries.
“We have seen an increase in residential burglaries in the 71 Precinct from Empire to Clarkson between Flatbush and New York,” NYPD Detective Vincent Martinos told COLlive.com.
The neighborhood is also currently experiencing a rise in garages being broken into, Martinos said.
“We have increased patrols and are targeting certain areas,” Martinos stated.
Protect yourself by following these simple tips from the NYPD:
1. Lock all windows and doors before leaving your home, even if its only for a moment. Air conditioners/window fans should be secured to the window opening to prevent being pulled out or pushed in.
2. Be alert for strange people in your building, around your home and around your neighbor’s homes. Do not hesitate to call 911 to report any unusual behavior observed. All calls will be kept confidential.
3. If you observe unfamiliar persons near your building attempting to enter location notify police to investigate. Especially if they are attempting to enter the building immediately behind you.
4. Avoid keeping large sums of money and jewelry in your home. If possible, utilize safes and lock boxes to help prevent theft of your personal items.
5. If you see any person and/or vehicle on your block for an extended amount of time with no apparent purpose, call 911 to make a report. Please make note of any important information, such as vehicle descriptions or license plate.
6. If anyone sees someone suspicious in back yards or loitering in alley ways please call 911 to report it. If you have in the past or have video of someone in backyards that does not belong there and you don’t recognize please email or send detailed photos to [email protected] It will also be a great help if you do have a video camera facing garages or backyards to please review them for anything suspicious.
The 71st Precinct’s Crime Prevention Officer offers free security surveys for private homes. To request one, call 718-735-0528.