This new Recipe Series is brought to you by community news service COLlive.com and Kettle & Cord, the home essentials store in Crown Heights. Today’s presenter is Rivkah Krinsky, a health coach and founder of RK Health.
While often assumed to be a delicacy only found on an upscale French-inspired menu, Crème brûlée is actually a deceptively easy to make dessert – and, with this recipe, deceptively healthy as well.
Crème brûlée consists of a custard base topped with caramelized sugar, achieved using a butane torch or a light broil. Add whole or pureed strawberries on the side for a dessert that both looks and tastes delightful.
You will need:
1¾ cup soaked cashews
1½ cup coconut yogurt
½ cup maple syrup
3 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp almond milk (optional)
• Soak cashews in water for 3-5 hours
• Blend soaked cashews, coconut yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract and almond milk in a food processor or Vita Mix blender until smooth and creamy.
• Distribute evenly into ramekin dishes or a Pyrex dish.
• Sprinkle coconut sugar over the top of the mixture and use a blow torch and torch the tops until crispy.
• Garnish with strawberries and enjoy!