A small fire broke out in the basement of Chabad Headquarters at 770 Eastern Parkway on Friday.
Crowds of people were evacuated as the main Shul filled with smoke, early Friday morning, while many residents and guests were davening Shachris prayers.
There were no injuries.
The fire started in one of the Shul’s backup lighting battery packs, a source told COLlive.
An employee in the building’s offices upstairs told COLlive “the whole building smelled like something was burning,” as firefighters climbed to the roof to inspect the building.
He also said the building’s electricity had been shut off.
Chanina Sperlin of the CHJCC and Pinny Ringel from Mayor Bill De Blasio’s office are both at the site of the fire to assist in the investigation.
The Main Shul remains closed at this time, Chanina Sperlin told COLlive, while they clean up and assess the damage.
“The Shul will be open later in time for Kabbolas Shabbos,” Sperlin says.
By 11:45 am the Main Shul was open, Sperlin informed COLlive.
There was a small fire in basement 770 Eastern Parkway. pic.twitter.com/cOvc5SwQk1
— Yaacov Behrman (@ChabadLubavitch) October 11, 2019