The AlterSchul (Katzubinskaya) Synagogue in Dniepr, Ukraine, has recently been renovated and refurbished, and was completed in time for an impressive reopening ceremony on Chai Elul 5777.
The Shul was renovated thanks to the efforts of Rabbi Ze’ev Vinogradov, one of the shluchim of the Rebbe in Dniepr.
The Synagogue on Katzubinskaya Street served as a house of prayer during the harsh and dangerous years when people risked their lives to pray there.
Rabbi Levi Yitzchak Schneerson, the Rebbe’s father, prayed there during the years 1935 – 1939, after 50 other local Shuls, including his own, was shut down.
In 1990 the Shul came to life again, with the revival of the local Jewish community.
It has now been restored to its original design from the 19th and 20th centuries, following extensive research into all of its details.
Rabbi Shmuel Kaminezki, head Shliach of the Rebbe and chief Rabbi of the city of Dniepr, had the honor of affixing the mezuzah to the building at the opening ceremony.
The honored guests at the ceremony, representatives of “The Community Project” of Boston, spoke very emotionally about the significance of this event.
The Synagogue will once again be used as a house of prayer and a warm home for the local Jewish population. The synagogue will also serve as a Rehabilitation Center for released Jewish prisoners with whom Rabbi Vinogradov works with selfless dedication.