Tuesday, 2 Iyyar, 5782
  |  May 3, 2022

R’ Michel Raskin, 92, OBM

R’ Michel Raskin, the iconic founder of Raskin's Fruit store on Kingston Avenue, passed away on Sunday, 22 Teves, 5782. Full Story

Tanya Printed Outside Shliach’s Hospital Room

Triple Hiloulot Celebrated in Crown Heights

Bde
December 26, 2021 10:58 am

He will be missed what a lovely gentle person

R’ Michel
December 26, 2021 10:59 am

BDE. SOmetimes, there are just no words to express.
A giant of a man, a profoundly huge loss to a community.

Gershon Hoffman
December 26, 2021 11:06 am

Very sorry to hear that! BDE

Bina
December 26, 2021 11:11 am

ברוך דיין האמת

BDE
December 26, 2021 11:28 am

A great baal chesed.

An icon of the community
December 26, 2021 11:48 am

He and his wife raised a beautiful family. May it be a comfort to them for what he accomplished.
Goldie and Reuven Deutsch.

Bde
December 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Will remember his warm personality and strong handshake

Wonderful Person
December 26, 2021 12:28 pm

One could only have good memories of him.
I knew his Mother; she taught her children to be kind and gentle; which they are.

ברוך דיין האמת
December 26, 2021 12:44 pm

a loss for the whole community

May Hashem bentch the family with strength and comfort

Moshiach NOW

Boruch dayan ha'emes
December 26, 2021 12:44 pm

I am thankful that he provided my husband with a job when my husband needed it. .
He would tell my husband that he couldn’t stand to see food wasted because of his family’s experiences during the seige of Leningrad.

What a terrible loss!
December 26, 2021 12:49 pm

BD”E! When I would go into his store, he always had a kind, encouraging word, he was just the nicest person. Words can’t describe his gentle, kind nature. May his wonderful family be comforted. Moshiach Now!!

יהודי חם ובעל הכנסת אורחים מיוחדת ולבבית .
December 26, 2021 12:59 pm

ברוך דיין האמת .

story
December 26, 2021 2:01 pm

Vov Tishrei 5725 the ambulance insisted on getting $200 in cash (a substantial amount then) before they would take the Rebbetzin Chana (and the Rebbe) to the hospital. He immediately ran to open the store and gave it.
ר’ שמואל לו מספר
על ר’ מיכל ע”ה.

Big Z Schaipro
December 26, 2021 2:12 pm

BDE

Michael
December 26, 2021 2:13 pm

Wow. What a loss. 2 very fond memories I have. 1). In the store. It was before Pesach. Knowing I don’t come from a wealthy family. Was buying for Yom Tov. He saw my choice pick, considering my abilities. He whispered to me and says…. Reb Mechoel nem di beser, I’ll charge you the same price,,, 2) he would insist I come to his home on Simchas Torah for a Lechaim. the whole family included. Every year it ended up a full Seudas Yom Tov. Fun di shenste un beste. Can’t ever forget. A true Baal Chesed. BD”H zol zein… Read more »

BDE
December 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Sad.
Wish all elderly people who still can come and share something to the yeshiva boys and girls, all their personal stories. Some Tales to the youngsters to hear

Such a loss
December 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Every time we came from out of town, we made it a point to stop by to say hello. We always got the biggest genuine welcome. He was concerned about everyone. He asked about all family members. He had a special warm, real heart! He will be missed. והקיצו ורננו שוכני עפר

A warm heart
December 26, 2021 3:15 pm

A man of kindness of light of joy who respected humanity and was such a gentleman always a welcome home and good heart

Le Amitiss
December 26, 2021 5:38 pm

A genuine gentle giant with an enormous heart.

Shlomo Z Rosenzweig
December 26, 2021 6:01 pm

My first time meeting the Rebbe was Simchas Torah 1973. Reb Michel zl as was his custom hosted a grand kiddish upstairs from his store at his apartment.

The simcha, ahavas yisroel and mashka was overflowing.
There I met and spoke with Reb Hendel Lieberman.

An addition to the life changing experience being in the Rebbe’s daled amos was the beautiful experience in the home of Reb Michel zl.

Whenever I met him in CH, I always shared how he had a very powerful impact on a 17 year old Bochurs first visit by the Rebbe.

Moshiach now.

Kalman
December 26, 2021 8:30 pm

What a Great Jew, for years he would talk to me about life, and give me advice, the last to I saw him in the fruit store he told me I getting old, “This is messed up” That’s a honest quote from a Great Jew!!!

Bdh!
December 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Just last week i saw him in the store, i always wanted to ask him about the story i read that the Rebbe told him of putting fruits outside the store so people can see what he has…
I also remember helping him go down the stairs with his walker..

Hope the family and people from ch post more stories with him, especially with the Rebbe…

Mendel
Reply to  Bdh!
December 27, 2021 1:07 am

You couldn’t have really seen him in his store last week. I don’t really think he’s been there recently,

Please send
December 26, 2021 9:58 pm

Please send stories and memories to [email protected]

Rouven mahgerefteh
December 27, 2021 1:22 am

Great man I use to work for him 40 years ago in Crown heights my first job when I came to this country from Iran
I used to deliver fruits and vegetables
And set up the store for him very great
Chasid baroukh dayan Emes

the little things
December 27, 2021 2:33 am

so sorry to hear…another memorable Raskin..what a legacy, what a tradition. I remember his warm smile and welcoming spirit. also, remember decades ago, I believe it was his wife, (maybe another family member, not sure) who use to work in the store, picked fruit, etc for customers while always wearing black soft cotton gloves…albeit she was probably protecting her hands, I thought it quite fashionable and coming from California, it was quite an eye-opener, enough to remember it years decades later. BDE . Chana

a terrible loss
December 27, 2021 6:56 pm

a very special gentle kind man and lovely welcoming family.
my children and myself always were made to feel so welcome in their home.
it was a home away from home for all the goodman family from australia.
Reb Michel and dania had an open home for everyone with sincerity and happiness such an eidele gentle man radiating goodness and kindness with his wife to all who came into their home.Outstanding hachnasas orchim!

wishing dania and the whole family only simchas from now on and may hashem comfort you and wish you lots of koach best wishes gita

Michel A'H embodied a bygone era...
December 28, 2021 12:01 pm

No one could tell from his demeanor how difficult life was for him growing up in Europe and serving as a super devoted son, brother and surrogate father to his siblings during the worst of times. He was positive without being drippy Pollyana-ish, and a devoted chossid like those of yesteryear. May his AMAZING wife Danya, zol gezunt zein, a real eizer k’negdo, and his wonderful children bask in the legacy of the goodness and kindness he personified.
Moshiach NOW!