5 Lubavitchers are in the top 20 in the Second Annual Jewish Community Heroes Campaign by the Jewish Federations of North America.
Over 300,000 votes were cast for more than 200 nominees, said Andy Neusner, a coordinator of the online contest.
Among the 20 semifinalists are:
6. Dmitriy Salita – Brooklyn, New York
7. Rabbi Dovid Tiechtel – Champaign, Illinois
12. Rabbi Yisroel Bernath – Montreal, Quebec
13. Rabbi Dovid Goldstein – Houston, Texas
15. Rivkee Rudolph – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Coming in as number 11 is Pinny Lipshutz, editor of the Yated weekly and a resident of Monsey, New York, who has taken a lead role in helping Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin by raising awareness and funds.
A panel of judges will select the 5 finalists – all of whom receive a Heroes grant. The judges will evaluate the semifinalists based on their efforts to strengthen the Jewish community and uphold the ideals of tikkun olam – repairing the world.
The 2010 Jewish Community Hero of the Year will be announced at the JFNA General Assembly in New Orleans from November 7-9.