A recent article reporting that Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin refused government offers for a plea deal are categorically wrong, said Rabbi Shea Hecht, of the National Committee for Furtherance of Jewish Education (NCFJE).
A recent article in the Des Moines Register claimed that Rubashkin had been offered a plea deal by Federal prosecutors prior to his trial but he refused, contrary to the advice of supporters.
“Everything they reported concerning a plea deal is total fiction,” said Rabbi Hecht.
“Sholom Rubashkin never considered a plea deal, because the government never put a deal on the table for him to consider!”
Rabbi Hecht further stated that the Register’s reports of plea deal meetings which supposedly took place at the Brooklyn headquarters of NCFJE have “absolutely no basis in reality.”
“The quality of journalism that I’ve seen from so many media sources has been nothing short of shocking,” he said.
Rubashkin Trial Coverage:
+ Jury Finds Rubashkin Guilty
+ Tanya Printed in Sioux Falls
+ Dear Shalom Mordechai…
+ KAJ Rov Testified in Sioux Falls
+ Rubashkin: I Made Mistakes
+ Lawyers Decline Elder Rubashkin
+ 200 Visited Rubashkin’s Trial
+ Justice in Middle America
+ ‘Please Attend Rubashkin Trial’
+ Hecht: Rubashkin will be Vindicated
+ Rubashkin Rejected Plea Deal
+ Busload Travels to South Dakota
+ Rubashkin Trial Starts Tuesday
+ Newspaper Ads Demand Justice
+ Error Halts Rubashkin Appeal
+ Rubashkin Daughter Pleads Help