The Internet is alive with the news that a Frum Electronic Engineering Technician in Kew Garden Hills, Queens, New York has designed a fire safety hotplate with Shabbos and Yomim Tovim observance in mind.
In the first week since the release of this news over 200 religious Jews from all over North America have flocked to back this project.
What inspired BenTzion Davis to create his hotplate?
After the recent tragedies in the Orthodox community he had become extremely frustrated with the quality of hotplate available on the market and in most Hamish stores. When friends started asking his opinion of what hot plate to purchase and not being unable to recommend one, he drew on his past experiences, repairing broken and shorted hotplates as a mitzvah for friends and family while going to college.
He has designed a Low Risk Fire and Shock Hazard Safety Hotplate that is designed for demands of a Kosher family kitchen. Our hotplates not only get used every week for 26 to 74 hours for years at a time; but they are used in a busy environment where almost anything can happen. It needs to exceed the minimal safety standards. Davis says that I am just enough of a Nerd about the details that I have designed the most safest hotplate that I have found on the market. I have compared it to the cheaper units recently released, and the others do not compare to my quality engineered and manufactured design.
What makes this Shabbos Safe Hotplate so safe?
1. The unit’s heating element is capable of reaching chulent heating temperatures at about half of the wattage of most hotplates. This is safer and avoids unnecessary draw on household wiring.
2. Rather than a dangerous thin wire coil prone to shorts, the heating element is a tubular insulated element just like what is found in all common household electric ovens. This has a high efficiency and longer service life.
3. There are no glass or ceramic parts needed to insulate the element thereby avoiding any kind of breakage. Each hotplate is dropped tested in the factory and able to take hard impact without breakage.
4. It has an kashurable restaurant grade solid brushed stainless steel housing with aluminum handles.
5. It has built in thermal sensing circuitry that not only keeps it at a safe temperature but kills the electric flow if there is any kind abnormal change in temperature.
6. Combined with a industrial grade power cord is a three prong ground fault circuit breaker. This will cut the electricity under almost any accident that causes an abnormal draw of electricity.
7. It has longer legs that raise the heat from your counter and the surface area is a perfectly large 21 ¼ by 16 1/8 inches.
8. All Hotplates will pass the Nationally Recognized ETL Safety Testing and Certification.
To view the video that explains BenTzion’s story and the hotplate in detail and for purchase information please Click Here.