By COLlive reporter
A synagogue in Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, a town in German bordering Frankfurt, was recently reopened as the Jewish community commemorates 80 years since the Nazis destroyed it on Kristallnact.
Under the leadership of Rabbi Sholom Ber Rabinowitz, the local Chabad Shliach, the shul was reopened thanks to the generosity of Evgeni Sternberg and family of Bad Homburg in memory of their parents.
The local Jewish community dates back to 600 years. Today there are approximately 500 Jews who live in this affluent town, located on the southern slope of the Taunus mountain range. The Rebbe Rashab has spent time there in the early 1900’s.
The opening ceremony began at the site of the former shul burned down by the Nazis. Mayor Alexander Hetjes welcomed the hundreds of guests.
A musical rendition was played followed by Kel Moleh Rachamim which was recited by Rabbi Shimon Herz, a resident of Crown Heights and the grandson of the town’s last rabbi before the Second World War.
After the memorial service, guests walked to the new shul for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and a lavish meal and included joyous dancing, celebrating the miraculous survival of the Jewish people.
The following evening, members of the community once again celebrated as they returned to the new shul to welcome in the Torah scrolls into their new home.