This new Recipe Series is brought to you by community news service COLlive.com and Kettle & Cord, the home essentials store in Crown Heights.
Chicken salads don’t have to conjure thoughts of mayonnaise-soaked creations from the local fast-food store. This blood-orange chicken salad is light, flavorful and beautiful to look at, and can also double up as an elegant appetizer.
Watch below as Gitty Rapoport, celebrity chef and the face of Kettle & Cord’s kitchen, presents her blood-orange and endive chicken salad.
You will need:
3 heads Belgian endives
2 blood oranges (peeled and sectioned) 2 scallions (sliced)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
½ cup candied pecans (coarsly chopped)
½ cup olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh blood orange juice
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
• Peel off outer layers of the endives and set aside to use as boats.
• Slice the rest of the endives in ½ inch slices. Combine with orange sections, scallions and shredded chicken.
• Combine all the dressing ingredients and mix very well.
• Dress the salad before serving and top with chopped pecans.
• To serve as the perfect appetizer, fill your set aside endives and plate.