Tuesday, 5 Av, 5782
  |  August 2, 2022

The Staggering Reality I Discovered at Recent Simchas

Miami Shliach Rabbi Mendy Katz was at a simcha last week and then attended a party for frum people and was surprised to discover a statistic that most people aren't familiar with. "At first, I thought it was a fluke," he says. Full Story

New Book Gives Daily Spiritual Motivation From Tanya

JLI Creates New “Shabbos Handbook” For Shluchim

January 3, 2022 1:57 pm

How refreshing it is to acknowledge the hand we’ve been dealt and learn how to play it properly…. rather than playing the hand we wish we would’ve been dealt!

Lchaim!

Levi Matusaf has been doing this for years
January 3, 2022 2:02 pm

Levi Matusaf has been doing this for years at weddings by oholei Torah many times there are shluchim kids getting married and they have people coming from their community coming to the wedding, he goes around and asks them to put on teffilin being that the shluchim are the baal simcha they sometimes forget.

770
Reply to  Levi Matusaf has been doing this for years
January 3, 2022 2:58 pm

That’s lovely too but what the author is referring to is those amongst us, card carrying Chabad members, bearded and hatted, that don’t necessarily put on teffilin daily. It is far more prevalent than many think.

Title
Reply to  770
January 3, 2022 10:01 pm

There are unfortunately many among us, but bearded and hatted?

Answer
Reply to  Title
January 4, 2022 12:09 am

Yes…..bearded and hatted.

770
Reply to  Title
January 4, 2022 10:41 am

Yes, certainly, I know a number of people that would fit that description and do not put tefilin on daily.

Rafi Hecht
January 3, 2022 2:03 pm

B”H I can proudly declare I have never missed a day. In 7th-9th grade there were a handful of times I missed my Tefillin but wore someone else’s, and have only worn my own set since.

You have to start doing mivtzoyim with your own?
January 3, 2022 2:05 pm

Long overdue! Cteen crown heights would be wonderful! When there is only chetzoniyus to focus on and daily life is based on that mindset, where spirituality doesnt mean anything anymore then people will fade away in their pnimiyus!

Oh yes!
Reply to  You have to start doing mivtzoyim with your own?
January 3, 2022 7:08 pm

When I was a teenager I always wished I could have fun programs like the Times Square concert Cteen has for their members.

you are amazing
January 3, 2022 2:08 pm

as a shliach in your area i want you to know i look up to your passion for mivtza tefillin and you are inspiration to me. I have put on tefillin with MANY Jews I would not have otherwise because of your inspiration.

Kol Hakavod
January 3, 2022 2:32 pm

Thank you Cohen!

Pinchos Woolstone
January 3, 2022 2:41 pm

what a timely reminder to all of us.
May I add that women and girls can carry tealights and a few brochures in their pocketbooks etc

True stuff
January 3, 2022 2:43 pm

Shlomie Sirota has been doing this! He has many similar encounters with those who wear a Yarmukah and/or have a beard but didn’t put on tefillin. It’s always important to take your tefillin along where everyone may go

Shliach
January 3, 2022 2:54 pm

Don’t you think it would be more important to ask a frum person if they had lunch today, if they have dinner, are your bills being paid. With out making anyone (a shul or personal project)I think if their was more of a focus on the physical well being of a Frum Yid. It would automatically bring him/ her back on track.?

We worry about our own ruchniyus and yenems gashmiyus no?

Not a contradiction
Reply to  Shliach
January 3, 2022 3:44 pm

Do both!

Answer
Reply to  Shliach
January 4, 2022 12:15 am

Doing both goes side by side.
But it all begins here.

Thank you!!!
January 3, 2022 3:14 pm

This is really amazing!!!
I think in all areas it’s time to reach our own, in any matter just like we do with/for others shilchus.

Been asked.
January 3, 2022 3:18 pm

I’ve been asked by mendy if I put on teffilin. At first I was offended and thought he was closed minded (since I don’t have a beard, but I am fully frum). Now I see where he comes from, good work!

Tiger
January 3, 2022 3:27 pm

BSD
Excellent article !!!

Lockdown
January 3, 2022 3:34 pm

Unfortunately due to all the lockdowns ppl got accustomed to not davening with a minyan which may contribute to not putting on tefillin every day

Mendy Katz
Reply to  Lockdown
January 3, 2022 4:03 pm

You are 100 percent correct . This problem became much worse since Corona

Shliach
Reply to  Mendy Katz
January 3, 2022 6:31 pm

Yes, so perhaps we should double down on the source of the problem not the affect.
The Rebbe never gave us a mivza to ask frum people if they put on tefilin are keeping T’HM etc. we learn from the Rebbe that when one is struggling like now during the pandemic, you help BEGASHMIYUS.

Answer
Reply to  Shliach
January 4, 2022 12:17 am

Both go side by side.

The Rebbe did not differentiate
Reply to  Shliach
January 8, 2022 7:13 pm

Not once did the Rebbe differentiate in any campaign between those who are already frum and those who are not.

About time
January 3, 2022 4:01 pm

In-reach is long overdue in our community. About time and sad it’s taken this long for some to wake up.

Big respect to Aliya for being a pioneer in this concept!

My OTD child said
January 3, 2022 4:08 pm

If we treated our own with the same warmth that shluchim treat their mikuravim, they wouldn’t be going OTD in the first place.

no blame
Reply to  My OTD child said
January 3, 2022 4:45 pm

its enough to always blame everyone, even the parents that didnt do such a good job. the aibishter is keeping us in this galus, he needs to redeem us asap

True
Reply to  no blame
January 3, 2022 8:27 pm

But since Hashem didnt redeem us yet and only he knows when it’ll happen and apparently we are not deserving yet, then people/ parents etc…. are to blame. Because if people did their role right we would not be in galus now.

My OTD child said
Reply to  no blame
January 4, 2022 6:56 am

Why not be part of the solution?

Absolutelt right
Reply to  My OTD child said
January 3, 2022 5:56 pm

150% true.

Opening pick-up line
January 3, 2022 4:42 pm

Some guys might be offended if we even “suspect” them of not putting on Tefilin.

One suggestion to be able to pursue what Rabbi Mendy is advocating for without offending those who do in fact put on Tefilin daily, is by asking “Do you know anyone who hasn’t put on tefilin today…?” That makes it much more subtle, and also enables them to be part of the solution (by potentially recommending others – even if they themselves do in fact put on Tefilin).

Just a thought.

Thank you Rabbi Katz and continued Hatzlacha!

judging
Reply to  Opening pick-up line
January 3, 2022 5:49 pm

Perhaps expand the perspective a bit, and allow for that if someone didn’t put on tefillin, it’s their business why and not anyone else to judge why not. and but you offer the opportunity to do it now. So there’s no reason for anyone to be ashamed or embarrassed if they didn’t put on tefillin, nor is there a reason to be ashamed or embarrassed to ask anyone else, nor is there a reason to be shamed or embarrassed to be asked.

Akiva Talansky
January 3, 2022 5:35 pm

I recommend the same with Lulav as well. One time on Chol Hamoed I was somewhere in a park with a relative of mine and we noticed that there was a Lubavitcher couple in the distance with a Lulav. At that moment we realized that my relative had forgotten to shake Lulav that day. It was getting late close to sunset, and time was running out. We tried to catch up with them but they disappeared. I suppose they didn’t come over to me because I look religious.

Our own
January 3, 2022 5:45 pm

Yessssss
Would love to see funds and energy directed towards our own with the same vitality as shlichus work.
Our kids don’t deserve less and unfortunately it does show

Best Article COL has ever posted!
January 3, 2022 5:52 pm

Mendy Katz is amazing!
And this is a huge problem. Yet he finds a way to bring people back with warmth, love and a smile. A beautifully written, positive article.
Hope this can become the new trend.
Keep it up!
A Miami friend

Coby lang
January 3, 2022 6:38 pm

Coby lang has put on tifillin on THOUSANDS of yidden and many of them are “unsereh”
We goes into the shops on Kingston, 13th avenue etc they wait for him!
He is warm to all!
No one feels judged or embarrassed, they feel that they matter!

Coby Rocks
Reply to  Coby lang
January 3, 2022 7:47 pm

Coby is a rock star . People are always open to sincerity. דברים היוצאים מן הלב נכנסים אל הלב

Oh yes!
January 3, 2022 7:10 pm

“The time has come for Lubavitchers to start doing Mivtzoim with our own. The focus of Mivtzoim has always been with non-religious Jews living outside of our communities. Times have changed and we now have to focus on our own communities as well.”

Wow, I couldn’t have said this better myself. Yes yes yes!

Why aren’t we doing more for our struggling childr
January 3, 2022 7:59 pm

Mendy , Kol hakovod for doing what you posted but unfortunately this is just the tip of the ice burg we need shluchim in evrey major city with frum people doing Inreach I can’t understand why we who they rebbe trained to be mekariv every yid aren’t doing more for our own which is so painful there are thousands of kids that aren’t frum today and we have a handful of shluchim who are doing inreach would the rebbe ever be content with this ! it’s beautiful for a shliach to move out to the end of the world for… Read more »

Thank You !
January 3, 2022 9:45 pm

Thank you, Rabbi Katz both your shlichus and You are HOLY !!!

Happen to me
January 4, 2022 1:28 am

I was in prospect park a few weeks ago with a pair of Tefillin. I saw a Chusid – payos and all – with his wife and kid. I jokingly asked him if he wants to put on Tefillin. I almost fell off my feet when he answered YES and that he hadn’t put on that day. Needless to say I helped them put on Tefillin.

Inreach
January 4, 2022 1:50 am

Has to be much more than just tefilin. Many people dropped a lot of things and feel disconnected. They are right here…you don’t need to go to idaho to find and reach out to them

CHT
January 4, 2022 9:02 am

That is why I go nuts when people in CH fight about eruv and angry on those who rely on it and carry. Excuse me, my son does not keep shabbos at all. I should be angry too?

saw it myself
January 4, 2022 10:02 am

years back we were at an upshernish, just shul ppl. Rabbi asked me if I had tfillin with me and if I could just leave off to the side. About 5 guys, beards and tzitzis, put them on. I was amazed and shocked all at once. you never know…

an unfortunate indictment on our chinuch sructure
January 4, 2022 2:01 pm

ask those people who havent put opn tefillin why they lost the geshmack in a mitzva and yull find they never were tought why and how to have a geshmack in a mitzva

teach a love of religion and teach with love not volumes of sichas and blatts og gemora teach love of yiddishkiet

these children see that lubaviych has become a business

Pained daughter
January 4, 2022 3:12 pm

It has been bothering me immensely that my father is in the ICU and wants to put on tefillin so badly but the lubavitch rav is always busy looking for secular people to don tefillin on and when I asked him he said he’ll try to come but never did. Now my brothers put on tefillin on my father daily and that’s what keeps him fighting.

Same
Reply to  Pained daughter
January 5, 2022 11:21 am

Years ago I was hospital-bound and lonely in a new community. My sil who is a shlucha contacted the local shluchim begging them to visit me in the hospital but they never came. Time and time again while dealing with health problems in a new community I was rejected when asking for help, “we can’t help everyone” I was told. My husband grew up on shlichus, this was a very painful period of time in our lives and we became very dissolutioned with the business-like, franchise-style Chabad has become. It’s definitely not like that everywhere but we sure learned our… Read more »

Need to get back to basics
January 5, 2022 11:31 am

I grew up on Shluchus and tefillin was a basic part of my upbringing. After moving to a specific city in south Florida I was surprised that no one was doing Mivtzoim on the Broadwalk or outside the grocery store. I offered to do this and wanted to do this with my son, but I was told not to since this territory was being saved for a son or son-in-law. Yes, that area is now occupied and growing, but why was there a need to wait all those years for the next generation to take over? Every time I offered… Read more »

At the very same time....
January 9, 2022 7:59 pm

Sad to say, but I’ve also noticed that from the “feinsteh un shensteh” houses, people don’t say a brocho before they eat food and they are not teaching their children to do so, either.

Children don’t know what brocho to say on each category of foods or that a brocho needs to be said before they put anything into their mouths.

Parents and teachers please emphasize this to your children and students and teach them. This is basics!