Just ahead of the Pesach holiday, the NYPD has a request for all residents who will be burning their Chometz at various locations in Crown Heights.
The NYPD 71st Precinct has warned that residents should not burn their Chometz in plastic bags.
“Last year, many people burned plastic bags,” Officer Mike Baratta of the 71st Precinct told COLlive. “The large quantity of burning plastic causes toxic smoke to fill the area, and is not healthy for residents,” he cautioned.
Instead of burning plastic bags, Baratta says, “residents should use paper bags, or should remove the chometz from the bags before throwing it into the fire.”