By COLlive reporter
A young Lubavitch couple was appointed to be the Chabad Shluchim in Gilbert, a large town in Maricopa County, Arizona.
Rabbi Moshe and Nechama Dina Leeds joined the ranks a month ago with their son Shmuel.
Founded in 1891 as a rail siding for Arizona Eastern Railway, Gilbert was once known as the Hay Capital of the World.
Today, Gilbert is the fastest-growing place in Arizona and its estimated population is 207,550.
“It’s a very new community and city, literally,” Rabbi Leeds told COLlive. “Within a mile from us there are still empty lots.”
He estimated the amount of local Jews is 3,000 to 4,000. “Many are moving here. We already performed a Pidyan Haben in the community,” he added.
Rabbi and Mrs. Leeds thank Arizona Head Shliach Rabbi Zalman and Tzippy Levertov, and Rabbi Shmuel and Chana Tiechtel of Chabad Jewish Student Center at Arizona State University.
They found their Shlichus through The Shluchim Office.
The new Shluchim are holding a raffle to raise money, with a $10,000 prize. 1 ticket goes for $54, or 3 for $100.
The drawing will take place on August 20th, 2009. To learn more, visit jewishgilbert.com.