The Yom Tov Recipe Series is brought to you by community news service COLlive.com and Kettle & Cord, a home essentials store in Crown Heights.
The presenter is Brooklyn-born Mrs. Gitty Rappoport who resides in Crown Heights with her husband and children and is an inspiring speaker to women and girls.
In this new online series, Rappoport presents 10 recipes over the next 6 weeks to make your Yom Tov more delicious and festive for the exciting month of Tishrei 5778.
This week: Buckwheat Kasha w/Mushrooms & Facon
If you’re looking for something different to serve as a side dish try kasha. It’s woodsy nutty flavor is perfect complement to all your fall dishes. And the addition of wild mushrooms and beef fry add the just the right amount of savory flavor to this hearty dish.
2 pkg shitake mushrooms (sliced)
8 strips of facon ( sliced)
1 medium onion ( diced)
1 1/2 cups buckwheat
2 3/4 chicken stock (bought to a boil)
Salt to taste
1. In a medium skillet cook the facon over medium heat until they start to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a dry paper towel 2. Add the onions to the bacon fat and sauté until golden brown.
3. Add the mushrooms to the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the buckwheat making sure all the kernels get coated with the rendered facon fat.
5. Add the boiling chicken stock. Then lower the heat and cook for another 30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the facon. Reserving some for garnish 7. Taste to check if more salt is needed and add salt accordingly.