A photo of the Previous Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak Schneersohn, sitting on a public bench with his son in law Rabbi Shmaryahu Gurary (“Rashag”), has been known for some time.
What was unknown was the location and time the photo was taken, as well as the identity of the person sitting to the Rebbe’s left.
According to research conducted by Rabbi Yosef Landa, Head Shliach of the Greater St. Louis area, the photo was taken in May of 1930 during the Frierdiker Rebbe’s historic visit to St. Louis.
“The gentleman in question is Mr. Nachman (Nathan) Harris who was a leading activist for Torah education in St. Louis and contributed with extraordinary generosity to establish Talmud Torahs in the city,” Rabbi Landa told COLlive.com.
A Shul in St. Louis was built and named in his honor as “The Nathan Harris Shul”.
Harris was also the chairman of the community-wide reception committee which arranged the impressive Kabolas Ponim welcome ceremony and other public events during the Rebbe’s ten-day visit.