On August 18, eight judges will be in Crown Heights at the Jewish Children’s Museum for a panel on how to navigate City and State courts.
This is the first time a panel like this has come to the Crown Heights Jewish community.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet judges like Michael Gerstein, who ruled in the case of a French student visiting Crown Heights who climbed the Brooklyn Bridge, and Judge Devin Cohen, who ruled on a 770 case.
Also in attendance will be Loren Baily-Schiffman, the only Orthodox Jewish woman currently on the New York Supreme Court.
“It is important that our judges have a direct understanding of the Crown Heights community’s culture and unique needs. I am proud to offer the community the opportunity to meet the judges and ask questions in their own voice,” said State Senator Jesse Hamilton. “These judges make decision that impact the lives of our neighborhood, our neighbors, and ourselves.”
The event will moderated by Judge Genine Edwards of the Supreme Court.
· Cheryl Gonzales, Housing Court Judge
· Craig S. Walker, Civil Court Judge
· Michael Gerstein, Acting Justice, Supreme Court
· Jacqueline D. Williams, Family Court Judge
· Devin Cohen, Acting Justice, Supreme Court
· Reginald A. Boddie, Acting Justice, Supreme Court
· Loren Baily-Schiffman, Acting Justice, Supreme Court
Senator Hamilton will also report to the community on his trip to Israel last week. The event is co-hosted by the 20th Senate District Jewish Advisory Committee.”