Create Account
ב"ה
Monday, 15 Iyyar, 5779
  |  May 20, 2019

    Fire Rules For Your Family’s Safety

    Shomrim of Crown Heights published fire safety rules for the kitchen, Shabbos candles and while checking for chametz. Full Story

    nf_6394_65810

    Get Refusal is Domestic Abuse

    Next Story »

    Nshei Issue Addresses Bullying

    18
    Opinions and Comments

    Login to keep track of your comments, follow a conversation or flag a comment
    avatar
      Subscribe  
    newest oldest most voted
    Notify of
    Thank you
    Guest
    Thank you

    thank you

    petrifying....
    Guest
    petrifying....
    shabbos and yt
    Guest
    shabbos and yt

    can you please talk about blechs, whether on electric or gas stove, hot plates, and crock pots esp now before Pesach?

    safety
    Guest
    safety

    Boro Park gave out free smoke detectors and batteries. Any chance we can do this in CH?

    yeah but....
    Guest
    yeah but....

    none of these things would have helped in the case of the Sassoons, so what measures could be taken to prevent such a thing lo alaynu?

    London
    Guest
    London

    #2 yes, but very important to know. Thanks COL for informing us. in case C’V……..

    Zalmy Schapiro
    Guest
    Zalmy Schapiro

    thank you for the information

    thank you
    Guest
    thank you

    Very informative! Keep up the great work you do to keep us safe.

    Thanks
    Guest
    Thanks

    Very important info to be reminded of!

    Blech?
    Guest
    Blech?

    Did not mention anything about a blech or plata.

    to 7 & 10
    Guest
    to 7 & 10

    This one…

    MAKE SURE YOUR SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS WORK!

    • Twice a year (when you change your clocks), change both your smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm batteries.

    thank you
    Guest
    thank you

    what about yartzeit lights? they burn for a week

    to #5
    Guest
    to #5

    The fire department stated that there were no working smoke alarms on the first or second floor in the Sassoon home.

    additional point not mentioned
    Guest
    additional point not mentioned

    NEVER USE A TOWEL AS A POTHOLDER. It is not safe because a towel, even a dish towel, is too big, the end or corner can dip into the fire.

    bedikas chometz
    Guest
    bedikas chometz

    Being an unmarried woman I do not cover my hair. Some years back during bedikas chometz my hair caught on fire from the candle. I expect a sheitel would be equally at risk. (Yes, I realize in a two-spouse family it is normally the husband who searches, but not everyone is in a two-spouse family.) No idea whether a beard could catch fire but maybe it would be a good idea to consider using bobby pins to keep it flush to the face and neck.

    Safety
    Guest
    Safety

    ALSO, do not use front burners when using a blech. Only back burners.
    When setting up blech: light flame to setting that is not the lowest – flame should be big enough that it’s not vulnerable to being extinguished easily.
    Then place blech.

    Putting blech down first.
    Putting gas on high to get flame to ignite on front burner is the v dangerous route.

    Newscast revealed...
    Guest
    Newscast revealed...

    That children sleep thru the alarm.
    But
    Woke up when it was a recorded sound of parents voice that went off instead.

    Check yr hot plates
    Guest
    Check yr hot plates

    Some are reporting that the wiring is in fact defective on some.
    One said she threw hers out 2 weeks ago for that reason. There should be a recall!

    X