Israeli foodmaker Strauss Group said on Monday it was recalling more than a dozen types of Elite brand chocolate after a routine inspection at its plant in northern Israel found traces of salmonella.
Strauss – a maker of snacks, fresh food and coffee with an Israeli market share of 12.4% – disclosed in a regulatory filing the discovery of the bacterium, which can cause intestinal disease.
In a public announcement on Monday morning, the company stated that “a number of samples containing salmonella were discovered in the factory’s production line and in the chocolate used as a raw material to create products,” adding that the food service department at the Health Ministry was immediately notified.
As a precautionary measure and out of a concern regarding the integrity of the products, Strauss has decided, in cooperation with the Health Ministry, to recall any products from specific batches that could contain the contaminated ingredients, Jerusalem Post reported.
Items included in product recall:
– Chocolate bars (Cow, Blondie, and Splendid brand) with a best before date between 01.10.22-24.04.23
– Pesek Zman, Memolada and Crunch chocolate snack bars with a best before date between 01.12.22 – 01.04.23
– Taami, Egozi, and Kif Kef chocolate bars with a best before date between 01.07.22 – 15.01.23
– “Energy” chocolate coated rice cakes and chocolate cereal bars with a best before date between 01.07.22 – 15.01.23
– Reva L’Sheva snack bars with a best before date between 01.05.22 – 15.12.23
– Brownie cake, Pesek Zman cake and rolls with a best before date between 10.07.22 – 31.08.22
– Chocolate “XL” wafers with a best before date between 15.11.22 – 01.01.23
– “Bonbonierre” selection boxes dated best before 9.4.23 and 21.2.23 only.
The company asked the public not to consume these products if they had already been purchased and stated that consumers who have purchased the products and must now dispose of them can receive a compensation voucher in return.
They stressed that from the moment the contaminant was discovered, the production of the various chocolate products was halted and all scheduled distribution of the products was stopped.